Statistics are derived from a number of areas including;
- Australian Bureau of Statistics accommodation stats.
- National Visitors Survey (NVS).
- International Visitors Survey (IVS).
- Visitor Information Centre.
- Bookeasy booking engine.
- Hunter Valley Research Foundation Omnibus and contracted research.
- Direct reporting from members.
- Independent surveys and research.
Great care must be taken when seeking to interpret tourism statistics, especially when they are used as a basis for decision making.
A few important points to note:
ABS stats are variously based on businesses with a minimum of 5 or 15 rooms and this may vary within a series
The error rates in the NVS and IVS at Local Government Area (LGA) level are quite high
Port Stephens refers to the whole local government area
Here is a snapshot of key statistics and detailed industry reports, tables and papers.